A Bean Worth Drying: The Scarlet Runner

The pink-and-purple beans are from green pods.

The pink-and-purple beans are from green Scarlet Runner pods.

I was filling baskets with French beans and Spanish magic beans last summer when I noticed that some of my Scarlet Runner Beans were ready to eat. Why in the world had I planted so many beans?

I was growing runners for the first time in at least seven years. I’d stopped planting them when my children had stopped asking me to erect bean tepees, which had never seemed worth the trouble of building. For years I had imagined the kids sitting inside a lovely live, green tepee on a hot summer day, making fairy houses or reading a picture book, and they apparently shared this fantasy. But it rarely came true. Hoeing in the tepee was difficult, so before long the space would fill with tall weeds. Watering was always troublesome, too. I would wrap a soaker hose around the perimeter of the tepee, but the hose would leak, from a tear or from a faulty connection, and form a mud puddle. And then one day the wind would come up and bend the tepee to one side, and, despite my efforts at straightening, the tepee would lean ridiculously for the rest of the summer. Unless I let it collapse altogether, picking the highest bean pods was nearly impossible; a ladder wouldn’t fit inside the tepee, and when I set the ladder on the outside the peak of the tepee was too far away to reach.

But last winter I realized that I missed the Scarlet Runner Bean’s bright red flowers and meaty pods. I thought of an easier trellising system: I would anchor a cattle panel with metal fence stakes and then tie tall bamboo poles to the cattle panel. Our bamboo grows to only about fifteen feet, and runner vines can run longer, but I figured they could hang from the top, dangling their pods to within my reach.

And so in early summer I planted a small handful of Scarlet Runner Beans and set up my sturdy new trellis. Now the first meaty pods had to be picked, or else they would get tough and fibrous. At the moment, though, I had no appetite for them. They were too few to bother blanching and freezing, and the kitchen refrigerator was stuffed full of other vegetables. Could I do as so many other gardeners did—enjoy the flowers and let the beans go? I was too frugal for that.

There was an obvious alternative: I could leave the pods alone now and shell them later. I had always saved shelled runner beans for later planting, but only a handful or two, and only at the end of the season. I’d never thought to save the whole crop for drying and eating.

Growing your own beans for drying takes dedication, especially in the Pacific Northwest. You’ve got to put the seeds in the ground early enough for the pods to fill and start drying before the fall rains begin to rot them. Rotting is especially likely with bush beans, which often rest their pods directly on the wet ground. And, assuming you can collect enough full, healthy pods, you might need an hour to shell enough little beans by hand for one family dinner.

The last of the harvest. Although the pods are stained with mold, the seeds within are flawless.

But runner beans are more amenable to drying than bush beans or any kidney beans. When provided with a trellis, runner beans hang their pods high, where they’re less prone to rot. The plants can survive a few light frosts. And because the seeds are big, about an inch long or longer, shelling goes fast.

Thanks to a dry September and a fairly warm October (during which the plants did indeed withstand light frosts), I was able to put off harvesting the runner beans until after Halloween. Then I tossed the pods, in various stages of drying, into a tray in the greenhouse. In mid-November I shelled some. With ten minutes’ work I had a pound. As you can see, the shelled beans were beautiful, violet speckled with black.

To fully appreciate the beans as food, I decided to serve them plain. I soaked them and boiled them as I would any beans, and then puréed them with a little olive oil, salt, and smoked paprika. With fresh, warm homemade tortillas, this was lunch. The bean purée was greyer than refried pinto beans but delicious, with a smooth, creamy texture and a mild flavor lacking in some beany element that, I realized, I really don’t like.

What was this unbean-like bean? I wanted to know its place in botany, history, and cookery.

Botanists, I learned, call runner beans Phaseolus coccineus. The species name refers to the color of the blossoms—red, like cochineal—although in some varieties the blossoms are white. Unlike Phaseolus vulgaris—regular kidney beans—runner beans are perennial, though we must grow them as annuals outside of the tropics. In the highlands of southern Mexico and Central America, where the beans originated, the seeds come in many colors—white, pink, purple, and black—and go by frijoles botil, ayacotl, or ayacote (note the similarity of the last two words to the French haricot). The starchy roots get so big in Mesoamerica that they too are used as food, although mine looked too skinny to bother with.

Many American gardeners love the Scarlet Runner Bean primarily as a hummingbird attractant, yet this particular variety was developed by the hummingbird-less English, who at first used the flowers in bouquets. John Tradescant the Younger, a botanist who traveled to Virginia between 1628 and 1637, gets credit for introducing the bean to England. I doubt he found it in Virginia at such an early date, although Thomas Jefferson probably grew it much later at Monticello; the French name haricot d’Espagne suggests a more likely path of transmission. A century after the Scarlet Runner came to England, Philip Miller, through his Gardener’s Dictionary, popularized it as food, but it’s unclear to me whether he liked the bean green or shelled. In any case, when the English eat runner beans today they are nearly always in the pod.

Phaseolus coccineus is popular in Spain as a dried bean, but usually in a form with white seeds—a form the Spanish call judía escarlata or Phaseolus multiflorus, according to Eroski Consumer; Spaniards reserve the name Phaseolus coccineus for judía pinta, or what we call Scarlet Runner Bean. In other words, they divide runner beans into two species. Whether this makes sense to you or not, in Spain you can buy packages of big white runner beans labeled as el judión de La Granja or judión de El Barco for your olla.

Mexico and Central America grow runner beans less than they used to, since the vines don’t fit well with modern monoculture. And Mexican and Central American farmers don’t grow the Scarlet Runner, at least not commercially. But they have their own favorite runner-bean varieties. Best known are Ayocote Morado, with pale lavender flowers and purple seeds, and Ayacote Negro, with big orange-red flowers and seeds that dry purple-black. Both of these varieties are available for gardeners from a little Missouri company called Azure Dandelion. If you want to taste the beans before planting them, you can order them for $5.50 a pound from California’s Rancho Gordo, which sells not only Ayocote Morado and Ayocote Negro but also a yellow-seeded variety, Golden Yellow, and two white-seeded varieties, Ayocote Blanco and Runner Cannellini Bean. The last scored highest of all varieties in a 2010 Seed Savers Exchange bean tasting.

If Americans are now paying $5.50 a pound for imported black, white, and purple runner beans, why aren’t we eating the speckled ones from our gardens? All runner beans, says the Rancho Gordo website, “are great with loads of garlic and wild mushrooms or just as part of a mixed salad. In Mexico, you find them served with a chile sauce or in a soup, but in Europe, you might see them drowned in good fruity olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice before dusting with sea salt.” Isn’t that inspiring?

In December I shelled some more of my runner beans and made this vegetable stew:

Stewed Runner Beans with Tomatoes

2 tablespoons olive oil
½ pound onions, cut into wedges
½ cup diced red peppers, sweet or mildly hot
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 quart canned tomatoes, with their juice
3 fennel seeds
2 pinches ground saffron
½ cup chopped parsley
Ground black pepper
12 ounces (about 2 cups) dried Scarlet Runner Beans, boiled until tender with a sprig of sage and a garlic clove
Salt

In a large skillet, sauté the onions. Add the peppers and garlic, and sauté until the garlic releases its fragrance. Add the tomatoes, fennel, saffron, and parsley, and twist the pepper mill over the pan two or three times. Break up the tomatoes with a spoon or spatula. When the mixture is hot, add the beans. Boil the mixture about 10 minutes, until it’s suitably thick. Add salt to taste, and serve with bread or rice.

I wish I’d taken a picture of this dish, so you could see how the beans stayed intact and took on a handsome deep red color, somewhere between brick and burgundy. The dish would especially please vegetarians, although it would also be excellent with cooked bacon or sausage slices added toward the end of cooking. And you could vary the seasonings; for example, you might add oregano, cumin, or bay.

Scarlet Runner Beans for planting are easy to find. If you prefer, you might choose a closely related cultivar, such as Scarlet Emperor, an English type selected for tasty pods and sold by Nichols and Territorial. Painted Lady Runner Bean, with bi-colored red and white blossoms, and Sunset Runner Bean, with salmon-pink flowers, are both available from Seed Savers Exchange.

Liked this post? To receive more like it, subscribe to A Gardener’s Table.

About these ads

This entry was posted in Vegetables and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to A Bean Worth Drying: The Scarlet Runner

1. Steve Sando says:

Thanks for the mention in your very nice post. We’re about to get Golden Yellow runners from Puebla, which are starchier than most but still delicious.
    I want to clarify, we import some beans through the Rancho Gordo- Xoxoc Project but 85% of our production is in California, including our Scarlet Runners.

• Thank you for that correction, Steve, and for letting me and my readers know that Rancho Gordo sells Scarlet Runners and Golden Yellow Runners as well as the varieties I mentioned.

2. narf77 says:

What a brilliant idea! I have a “bean cube”…a tangled mass of scarlet runners, yin/yang beans and borlotti beans in the middle of a chicken wire enclosure. It’s a cube because the possums adore them and reach in and grab as much foliage as they can and have restricted the beans to a cube of foliage in the middle of the enclosure. I have decided to dry my entire bean harvest (such as it is) this year so that I have seed for next year when we are building a MASSIVE enclosure to keep out the possums and wallabies and will be keeping my scarlet runners as well. I love the idea of using them dried. The seeds are enormous, almost rivelling a broad bean and as a vegan I love pulses and how they fill a protein gap in my diet. Cheers for this wonderful and most sage advice (sage, garlic and beans…YUM! ;) ).

3. I guess there are worse garden pests than deer! We have possums here, but I’ve never seen evidence that they have bothered the garden.

4. Meg Pettibone says:

Wonderful article. Thank you. I have grown scarlet runners for years. One year I made the mistake of shelling and putting beans in a closed jar. Horrors! They molded!. Now I leave them in the shell in a 3-tiered, hanging screen contraption I purchased at an Asian shop.
    Mine grow up the side of my deck, and on up double-lashed bamboo poles.. One thing I should mention, if you don’t pick any of the green beans, your crop is probably going to be smaller.

For my veggie course for dinner, I simply dine at the vine. I eat the flowers sometimes, too. But I am very careful to leave behind any bean that already has a visible bean-bump because as you know, it is no longer edible as a green bean.

If beans have no support, and begin to dangle, they quit producing…they don’t like being ‘upside down’. (fact) I can feel pretty fanatical trying to hook a vine that’s lost it’s connection back onto the pole with another pole. Is it really worth this? YES!

One of my annual winter ponderings is how to harvest those that have reached too far to the sky (without Jack), and without breaking my neck or the trellis. I now have visions of a cube-like contraption. Thanks for the idea!

• With four cattle panels, I suppose you could build “a cube-like contraption” with the tops of the bamboo poles fastened together in the center. Then you could plant tender greens inside, where they would have a little shade and the chickens couldn’t get them–provided you could figure out how to get inside yourself. Maybe I’ll try just two cattle panels, bent into a circle.

Thanks for your report, Meg. I’m enjoying imagining you dining at the vine, and nibbling an occasional scarlet blossom.

5. Meg Pettibone says:

Linda, I live in Seattle

• Ceri says:

I have had luck leaving the roots in the ground in raised beds in Eugene Oregon. i don’t know what % re-sprouted but I had 2 tomato cages covered in scarlet runners in the same place I grew them last year.

6. Torfrida Wainwright says:

I found a really good use for these beans – as a substitute for chickpeas in hummus. Recipe: take 150gm soaked & cooked runner beans, 5-6 teaspoons of tahini, couple of lemons, several cloves of garlic and blend them all up – delicious and nicer than the chickpea variation, I reckon.

7. susan o'donnell says:

I was fortunate enough to harvest the green pod version of runner beans at a Botanical Garden as a volunteer. I cam away with a few pounds of overgrown pods for the sole purpose of drying these lovely magenta seeds. Thanks for the post! Also snagged a few red runner bean pods to save for planting next year. Can’t wait to try them out!

8. valleycajun says:

I just picked my scarlet runner beans and have them drying on a screen in the garage. I’ve never tried drying them before – hope I didn’t pick them too early but we’ve been having frosts for the last week and I didn’t want to push my luck.

9. Romy B. says:

I plant at least five or six hills of scarlet runners each year especially for the dry beans. They make an epic veggie chili: the beans hold their shape well during long simmering and are wonderfully meaty and satisfying. Might have to whip up a batch tomorrow with the ’13 crop!

We’re in the Portland, OR area, which is not noted as particularly suitable for dry bean production, but scarlet runners are well adapted to this cooler, damp climate, and growing, harvesting and storing a substantial crop is quite easy.

• “Meaty and satisfying” is an excellent description of cooked dried Scarlet Runner Beans. Puréed, they are also creamy and, to me, reminiscent of chocolate. My 2013 crop, from about 6 feet of row, is so big that I expect we’ll eat runner beans every week for the next year.

10. Barbara Pugh says:

Can they be eaten as green beans?? I have them for the first time this year.

11. Correen K says:

First year growing scarlet runners…they have made us so happy and the bees/hummingbirds simply love ‘em. Just finished up stewing a cup of fresh beans (took ‘em straight out of the pod :), with other veggies/herbs from the garden and OMG!…tasty, tasty. Thank you for all your info about these incredible beans and the recipe that encouraged me to make my own.

12. Michael says:

I’m an Englishman in France, yet my family’s habit of growing runner beans follows me wherever. I have to say that the idea of growing runner beans for anything but Mange-tous has never been an options as the beans fly off after two or three days growth into a pot ready with steam or water, knob of butter, sometimes a little squeezed lemon, and what can be better. In France there are many Mange-tout beans yet the ‘English’ (from Central America) runner has never been marketed as far as I know.

However, it’s an option to have a go at the beans. Maybe dedicate a quarter crop to beans. I leave some to got that way for seed, often, yet not food yet!

Here the beans were very late, August, and still strong in September!

• Michael, thanks for your comments on both chard and runner beans.
      In a quick search of the Web the only definition I’ve found for mange-tout is snow pea (as we say in the USA). Is the term also applied to beans, whenever the whole immature pod is eaten?

13. Anne Kaario says:

When I shell my runners and decide that they’re too tough to eat fresh, I keep the seeds, throw them in a baggie in the freezer and use them in stews and soups in the winter. Thanks for the info about the fully mature purple (aren’t they gorgeous?!!) ones. I’ve always kept some to plant (they’re actually descendants of my father who did the same thing in the 50’s and 60’s) but have never made use of them for eating.

• Anne, what a good idea for using those in-between beans–too old too eat green, but with seeds too underdeveloped for storing dry. And how wonderful that your family has kept your strain going for so long!

• meg says:

every year i anxiously wait for my runner beans to rattle in their pod before picking. then i lay in these great hanging, blue net drying cages i found (made in Vietnam) until i have time to shell. but..sometimes i am out of town and then the rain comes and potential for mold. I am going to miss my glass jar of beatiful purple beans but going to freeze as posted here if i have to pick early! better than losing! Thanks!

14. leigh says:

Enjoyed your info about the Scarlett Runner Bean do you no if the Purple Hyacinth beans can also be dried and eaten?

• Leigh, I have no experience with hyacinth beans, but here’s what Wikipedia says: “The fruit and beans are edible if boiled well with several changes of the water. Otherwise, they are toxic due to the presence of cyanogenic glycosides, glycosides that are converted to hydrogen cyanide when consumed.”

15. Reblogged this on From Portlandia to Walla-Where? and commented:
    This article caught my attention after I searched for ways to handle my runner beans. I think they’ll be dried this year and saved for stew!

16. laurabruno says:

Reblogged this on Laura Bruno's Blog and commented:
    Yummy! It’s been a scarlet runner bean Halloween. With temperatures set to dip into the 20’s tonight, I pulled out the bamboo stakes, harvested the remaining pods, and spread the masses of nitrogen rich biomass on tomato beds, then covered with straw. I love the meaty taste and texture of scarlet runner beans, and they are just so pretty at every stage of growth! This afternoon, I added some of the green pods, chopped up, in a curried carrot (from the garden) soup. The pods need extra cooking, but everything tasted great.

Thanks to A Gardener’s Table for the tip that I can let these dry off the vine on our porch. I wondered what to do with the huge pile on our counter! Looking forward to the recipe, too.

17. Pingback: Laura Bruno – A Bean Worth Drying: The Scarlet Runner – 1 November 2014 | Lucas 2012 Infos